How To Avoid All Holiday Plumbing Headaches
Enjoy Your Holiday Season by Avoiding Plumbing Headaches
The holidays are a great time for family and friends, fun and cheer. The last thing you need is a clogged drain to become part of your entertainment plans. Rich foods associated with holiday meals like animal fat, bread, pasta, and cheese are classic culprits that lead to clogged or backed up drains.
Often, a house already has partially clogged drains that go unnoticed until holiday guests arrive and overwhelm the system. More people in the home mean more toilets flushing, more laundry being done, extra showers being taken, and more soap or hair going down drains. A busier kitchen means more water being used and more waste going down the sink drain and garbage disposal.
Following these simple tips, that our plumbing experts have assembled, will maximize the life of your drains and help you avoid potential holiday plumbing headaches.
Plumbing Tips for the Kitchen
The kitchen is the biggest holiday culprit for plumbing issues, with the garbage disposal being one area that is often misused. There are a few key things to remember when cleaning up dishes and food debris.
- Your disposal is not able to sufficiently grind certain items that will ultimately clog your sink drain. Avoid grinding anything that is stringy, fibrous, or hard to grind. Some of the more common culprits are pumpkin pulp, poultry skins, celery, fruit, potato peels, lettuce, egg shells, and vegetable peels.
- Make sure to always run cold water for 15 seconds before and after using the disposer to flush waste down the main sewer line.
- Make sure the disposer is running when you put food debris into it — don’t wait until it’s full before turning it on.
- Never pour grease, oil, or fat down the drain. This can harden and clog your drains. Before washing your greasy dishware, let them cool and wipe grease off with paper towels and place into the garbage.
- Run the dishwasher during the night to maintain water pressure and hot water during the day for things like showers and cooking.
Plumbing Tips for the Showers
The number one cause for clogs in the shower is hair. But you can’t really stop the hair from falling. To keep it from clogging the drain however, you can use a drain screen. This will help filter out the water but keep the hair from going down the drain.
Turn up your water heater to increase its capacity to meet holiday house guest demand. However, to avoid scalding, don’t exceed 125 degrees.
If your water pressure seems weak or not all the water is escaping the shower head you can clean it up easily. Pour a cup of vinegar into a plastic bag, place it over the shower head, and let it soak. Then you can gently scrub the area free of debris and calcium deposits, solving your problem.
Plumbing Tips for the Toilet
The toilet is a pain to have to plunge, especially when you have a house full of guests. Avoid the stress and overflow with these handy plumbing tips.
- Provide a trash bin so that the toilet isn’t used as a garbage can.
- Never flush anything down a toilet that is not meant to be flushed. This includes feminine products, facial tissues, cotton balls, swabs, hair, or facial scrub pads.
- Keep a plunger handy or a drain auger, better known as a “snake”, to handle clogged toilets. Make sure these tools are in an obvious place for guests to use to save them the embarrassment of having to ask.
Plumbing Tips for the Sinks
Even bathroom sinks can develop clogs from time-to-time. Soap and fibers from towels can accumulate in the drain and cause a blockage. There are a few things you can do to remedy the situation.
- Keep a sink plunger handy for a quick fix.
- Run very hot water down the drain to loosen up the debris.
All of these tips will keep your holidays running smoothly and ultimately help prevent a plumbing emergency from interrupting your plans, so you can relax and enjoy your family and friends.
Contact Horizon Services
Have a clogged drain or just want to perform maintenance on your drain? Contact the experts at Horizon Services today and we will get your drain flowing again right away.
With over 20 years of service experience, we have helped thousands of homeowners in the Delaware, Southeastern Pennsylvania, South NJ, and Northeastern Maryland areas with their plumbing needs. Our team of plumbing professionals consists of some of the most experienced and most qualified plumbers working today in the Delaware Valley. These are top-notch plumbing technicians who can accurately diagnose and quickly fix any and all plumbing problems. Plumbing emergencies are our specialty!.
We also specialize in Sewer and Water Line Replacement!