How To Choose The Right Contractor
All Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning Companies Are Not Alike!
Before you search for a plumbing, heating or air conditioning contractor, you must do some homework about your specific job. Your goal isn’t to become a technical expert, but you want to learn enough to ask the right questions and evaluate the answers.
Research Your Options
Your neighbor had a great experience with one contractor and your co-worker had a terrible experience with another. This feedback is great research material! During the research phase, identify several contractors who can help you with your job. The best feedback comes from the word-of-mouth experiences of people you trust. They are more likely to give you the “straight scoop” on their experiences (both positive and negative) than other potential referrals. Your prospect list should include two to three contractors. Each prospect should be located locally and the business should have a physical street address. Then, you should call your local Better Business Bureau, or other consumer related organizations to verify company information.
Be sure to use the following checklist of questions to help you in your contractor research process:
- How long has the company been in business?
- How many certified service technicians does the company have?
- How many certified installation technicians does the company have?
- Is every employee required to sign a Customer Service Pledge?
- Is the company a member in good standing with the BBB?
- Has the company received awards in the community for outstanding service in plumbing, heating and air conditioning?
- Is the company available evenings and weekends to handle any service calls or emergencies?
- Does the company survey customers after work is completed to measure customer satisfaction?
- Does the company have adequate liability insurance and proof of it?
- Does the company provide workers compensation insurance?
- Does the company drug test and background check all employees before and after hiring them?
- Does the company test each employee’s technical skills before hiring them?
- Does the company have a documented weekly technical training program for employees to maintain and improve their skill level?
- Does the company have an in-house training facility with a full time trainer for service and installation technicians?
- Will the company use shoe covers and drop cloths on the job to protect your home nad property?
- Does the company have a policy to show up on time or refund your money?
- Will the company provide you with a list of customers who have had problems resolved with a no questions-no hassle written guarantee?
- Does the company have a written 100% Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee?
- Will the company handle all permits needed for your job?
- Does the company have all necessary local, state, and federal licenses of the appropriate work?
- Can the company provide me with a list of references for the work I am planning to have done?
By the way…Horizon Services can answer “Yes” to all of the above questions!
How To Be A Smart Customer
After you have completed the checklist above, here are a few more tips that will help you make an intelligent decision when it comes to investing money in your family’s comfort and safety.
- Don’t rush into a project or take the first bid that comes along (including door-to door solicitations).
- Don’t accept a verbal estimate; it must be in writing.
- Don’t make cash payments or full payment up front.
- Don’t think you’ve discovered a great bargain if you get a bid that is substantially lower than other bids. Remember, you get what you pay for.. and if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.