Tips and Tricks to Save Money on Your Water Heating Bill
Did you know that heating water can account for approximately 12% of a home’s utility bill? From your utility room to your master bath and everywhere in between, water usage can be excessive! Fortunately, it can be curtailed through some minor (and major) lifestyle changes. Your plumbing experts at Horizon Services are sharing tips and tricks to help save money on your home’s water and heating bill.
Ways to Cut Down on Water Expense in the Bathroom
- Take showers instead of baths. If you already shower, try reducing your time. Spending four fewer minutes under a showerhead can save almost 4,000 gallons of water per year!
- Install low-flow fixtures (Horizon has highly-trained pros who can add these updates quickly). Showerheads and faucets installed before 1992 can use more than twice as much water as newer models.
How to Minimize Water Usage in Your Kitchen
- Use your dishwasher efficiently. Wash only full loads, choose shorter wash cycles and activate the booster heater if your dishwasher has one.
- If you’re in the market for new appliances, check out an ENERGY STAR® dishwasher; it uses 31% less energy and 33% less water. Horizon’s fully licensed plumbing team is on call to help with dishwasher installations!
- While you might assume that hand-washing dishes saves water, you use 1/6 less by running a full dishwasher. If you don’t have a dishwasher, fill up your sink with water instead of constantly running water.
- Keep a pitcher of cold water in your refrigerator so you don’t have to wait for the faucet to cool down every time you want a refreshing cup of water.
Limiting Water Usage in Your Laundry Room
- When it’s time to replace your washing machine, an ENERGY STAR® appliance should be on your list to consider. Appliances with this rating run on 35% to 50% less water and 50% less energy per load. This translates into a savings of approximately $135 a year.
Fact: A leak of one drip per second can cost $1 per month! At 60 drips per minute, you waste 8.64 gallons per day, 259 gallons per month, and just over 3,153 gallons per year. When in doubt, call your Horizon plumber to check out possible leaks.
Saving Money on Water in Your Utility Room
- Lowering the temperature on your water heater to 120°F from the typical preset of 140°F can save you a lot of money by using less energy.
- Insulate your hot-water storage tank and the first few feet of the hot and cold water pipes.
One of the most important tips to save money is to keep your system on a regular maintenance plan. The plumbing team at Horizon Services helps keep your system running at peak performance, so you save money.
No hot water? Find your local Horizon Services! We offer same day water heater repair services!
Let Horizon Help You Save Money
Talk to the Horizon team now to find out how our A+ rated plumbing service can save water, energy, and money for your home. Ask your customer service representative about big plumbing offers happening right now! Don’t wait for the next pricy water bill – call now!