If you’re tired of drinking water that smells funny or cooking with water that alters the flavor of your food, it’s time to invest in a reverse osmosis water system. This water purification system removes contaminants from the water in your home to improve your drinking, cooking, and cleaning experiences. For water that tastes better, is safer to drink and cook with, and is better for the environment, you need a reverse osmosis system.
Table of Contents
What Is Reverse Osmosis?
Reverse osmosis is the process of removing contaminants from water by applying pressure to it and forcing it through a semipermeable membrane. The membrane has pores large enough for water molecules to pass through but small enough to block larger molecules.
How the Reverse Osmosis Process Works
Here is a step-by-step guide that is designed to portray what reverse osmosis water is and its benefits:
- Water passes through a pre-treatment section to remove any large particles, such as dirt and sand.
- The clean water is transported from the pre-treatment section to the reverse osmosis section where it’s forced through a semipermeable membrane.
- By blocking contaminants—including bacteria and hard minerals—from passing through, the membrane only allows clean, pure water to reach the next stage.
- In the final stage of the process, the reverse osmosis system drains the water containing contaminants and stores the filtered water in a storage tank for later use.
How Do Reverse Osmosis & Filtration Differ?
While reverse osmosis and standard water filtration may seem the same, they differ in a few key ways:
- Water is forced through a semipermeable membrane to remove contaminants
- More energy efficient
- Can be used in remote places with no clean water sources
- More effectively removes microscopic contaminants from your water
- Passes water through a sieve or filter
- Requires clean or semi-clean water to work properly
- Can minimize the smell of contaminants without removing all particles containing them
3 Benefits of Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration
If you’re wondering whether investing in a reverse osmosis water filtration system is worth it, check out the top three benefits you would enjoy after installing one in your home:
1. Removes the Most Contaminants
Reverse osmosis water systems are highly effective in removing bacteria, viruses, and common chemical contaminants—including chlorine and lead. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) states that reverse osmosis systems can remove up to 99% of contaminants from your water. With a filtration system that is effective, the choice is easy.
2. Reduces Plastic Water Bottle Use
Once you can get purified drinking water straight from the kitchen tap, you no longer have to rely on things like bottled water. This benefit not only saves you money but also is a safer, more environmentally friendly option.
3. Provides Higher Quality Cooking Water
When you invest in a reverse osmosis water system, you can taste the difference. Without chemicals and other contaminants overshadowing the natural flavors, you can fully enjoy the taste of the foods you cook.
Reverse Osmosis System Installation & Replacement Services
The expert plumbers at Horizon Services work hard to protect your family’s health. We offer reverse osmosis water system installation and replacement services for homes in Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. In addition, our team of licensed plumbers offer a variety of other types of plumbing services such as water line maintenance, water heater repair, drain clearing, water line replacement, and sump pump installation. For water that is safer to use, tastes better, and saves you money, a reverse osmosis system is what you need.